Inflammation is a complex physiological response of the immune system to various foreign and/or harmful stimuli that expose the host. This physiological reaction, when it involves the gut and gets prolonged and dysregulated, is termed "chronic inflammation" and can prove detrimental in production terms. This is in contrast to "acute gut inflammation" which starts rapidly and within a short period becomes severe.
Lumance® is a complex blend, combining slow release and protection technologies ensuring that fatty acids, essential oils, plant extracts, and antioxidant compounds are delivered in an active way to the gut. In our previous in vitro studies, we demonstrated the synergistic anti-inflammatory, the enhancing gut integrity properties, and the anti-pathogenic properties of Lumance®. The present study aimed to study the ability of Lumance® to counteract the chronic inflammation induced by a dietary challenge in real broiler field conditions.
Highlights of this research:
- Chronic Inflammation means losses which, can cause a reduction in growth up to 30%.
- Chronic gut inflammation often seen in field conditions is due to the synergistic & additive negative impact of several stress factors.
- To our knowledge, this is the first-ever successful attempt of reproducing an in vivo ‘chronic gut inflammation’ model, in real-farming conditions.
- Lumance® alleviated ‘chronic gut inflammation’ induced by the dietary challenge.
- Lumance® improved significantly the body weight and feed conversion ratio of broilers in a dose-response manner.
- This was accompanied by the statistical reduction of key gut biomarkers at the intestinal tissue level:
– Anti-inflammatory efficacy/IFN-γ cytokine
– Anti-oxidative efficacy/MDA
- Lumance®holds great promise in controlling the synergistic and additive negative impact of several stress factors, typically seen in the field.
Download the full technical bulletin containing detailed results and methodology by clicking the button on the right side of this page.