Innovad® is proud to announce Myco-Marker™: an innovative animal-driven mycotoxin diagnostic and biomonitoring service that determines the true mycotoxin risk and exposure to animals and assesses the impact of mycotoxins on animal performance and health.
Myco-Marker™ is a patent pending diagnostic and biomonitoring tool that determines precisely possible exposure to mycotoxins and assesses their impact on animal performance and health. Myco-Marker™ allows detection and diagnosis of mycotoxin-mediated health and performance issues either in individual animals or in a population, aiding thus, identification of the causative mycotoxins and deploying appropriate mitigation strategies.
What does it consist of?
1. FEED ANALYSIS: Analytical EXAMINATION OF RISK in complex feed matrices and grains by monitoring 16 key mycotoxins in feedstuffs with high resolution LC-MS/MS technology.
2. BLOOD ANALYSIS: Analytical DETECTION OF 36 BIOMARKERS OF EXPOSURE IN BLOOD from dried blood spots with LC-MS/MS analytical tools.
3. IMPACT EVALUTION on ANIMAL PERFORMANCE & HEALTH: Interpretation of blood and feed RESULTS and differential animal diagnosis and biomonitoring support.
4. OPTIMISATION of the MITIGATION STRATEGY: Application of the appropriate mitigation strategy and dosing RECOMMENDATIONS.
5. BIOMONITORING PLAN: Upon initial evaluation Innovad® will help you implement the right biomonitoring plan for your needs.
RISE® to the challenge of mycotoxins!
Myco-Marker™: Global Survey - 1st year overview results
Working with producers and veterinarians across the globe Innovad® has the pleasure to announce its first Global Survey – unique of its kind! The survey involved 680 blood samples and 126 feed samples from Asia, Europe, North America and LATAM region. It has also deciphered what once was considered a ‘black box’. And it has, for the very first time, identified the real level and the true nature of mycotoxin issues in farming production.
- The survey highlighted the importance of blood analysis: More than four (4) out of five (5) farm cases (85%) would have been COMPLETELY missed without blood analysis
- No farms were mycotoxin-risk free (as mycotoxins were detected in ALL cases)
Figure - An overview of: a) the relative abundance (%); b) distribution (number) of mycotoxins and, c) risk level according to a heatmap, of the introductory year Global Myco-Marker™ Survey.
The survey involved 126 feed samples and 680 blood samples, sampled as Dried Blood spots (DBS). For example: Thirteen per cent (13%) of the tested farms had exposure to ≥8 mycotoxins, with a maximum of 15 mycotoxins detected in a single farm case.
- Co-exposure to multiple mycotoxins is the NORM – not the exception: animals from nearly ALL (98%) farms studied were exposed to two or more mycotoxins simultaneously.
- More than half (~51%) of the studied farms faced moderate to high mycotoxin risk (R5 – R7): Anything between 5 and 15 mycotoxins were detected simultaneously.
- Fifteen (15) was the highest number of mycotoxins detected in a single farm case.
- The TRUE mycotoxin risk is omitted by targeting only the top 6 regulated mycotoxins (deoxynivalenol, aflatoxins, fumonisins and zearalenone, ochratoxin A, T2 toxins); 82% of the cases would have been COMPLETELY missed if targeting the top six mycotoxins even when testing them both in feed and blood.
- The importance of emerging mycotoxins: emerging mycotoxins like enniatins and tenuazonic acid were the predominant mycotoxin of this survey.
- Correlation between clinical symptoms and exposure to mycotoxins was observed in most of the cases. For example, 86% of poultry cases with necrotic enteritis had exposure to deoxynivalenol and fumonisins and 83% of swine cases with reproductive problems had exposure to zearalenone and Alternaria mycotoxins which are estrogenic.
The introductory Global Myco-Marker™ Survey demonstrated clearly the added-value of the combined feed and blood analysis that the Myco-Marker™ follows over the standard stand-alone feed analysis. Contact our mycotoxin expert to learn more about this unique new service!